SUMMER PART 1

From May 11 to June 22, I will be living in Bangalore, India and Vasco de Gama, Goa, working for an organization called RR to serve and empower victims of sex-trafficking. During the six weeks, I will be teaching baking classes as well as administering lessons on health and nutrition, hoping to provide a loving space for learning, healing, and preparation for these women and their futures.

SUMMER PART 2

From June 30 to July 19, I will be serving at a mission hospital in Kapsowar, Kenya,with my family. For the three weeks we are there, I will be spending most of my time working in the hospital, but also making several visits to Kapchesewes orphanage to spend time with the 35 children who live there.

The Hydrangea

The Hydrangea
The hydrangea flower is a symbol of friendship, devotion, and understanding...and some say it represents all heartfelt and sincere emotions. My hope is to authentically love and sincerely serve the women in Bangalore, that friendships grounded in comfort and consolation would flourish over the six weeks. My hope is that the women I am serving in India would be filled with an abundance of hope...that despite the pain and brokenness and suffering of their past, that each one would know that they are absolutely beautiful and pure in God's sight, that they have worth and value that is beyond their wildest dreams, that they have the power to live new lives and be freed from the horror of their pasts. My heart longs to serve these women in a way that will empower them to bloom from roots of compassion and stems of courage, flourishing with hope for their futures.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Bangalore meets banana bread...





A cool breeze swept through our apartment this morning, pleasantly awaking Steph and me around 6:30am. After journaling and a granola bar, we headed town to Mackey's apartment to gameplan for the day. A gorgeous woman wrapped in a maroon sari greeted us at the door, and while I stood admiring her beauty, Steph exclaimed, "Gowramma, its been so long! How are you?!", embracing her friend. The three of us sat outside with Nellie on the porch, discussing Nellie's spotting of "parrots" (at least birds she claimed looked and acted like parrots) yesterday and laughing about Bangalore's lack of extention cords that left Nellie no choice but to make one herself. As we chatted, I passed out pieces of the vegan banana bread I had made the night before, asking for honest feedback. Nellie said "perfectly nice," Steph said "pretty good", and Gowramma took one pinch and then shriveled her nose saying, "Not like. Need more spice." I said AWESOME. Indians dont like banana bread. Good thing I'm not trying to start a banana bread bakery here in Bangalore cuz that could be a problem...

Gowramma, Steph, and I went back to our apartment to try and alter the recipe to Gowramma's taste, and I was saying prayer after prayer under my breath, hoping we would come up with SOMETHING, or my project could just turn into an epic failure. With an extra cup of sugar, an extra two bananas that were extra ripe, and calling our concoction "banana CAKE," Gowramma was smiling and wobbling her head back in forth, the Indian way of saying "yes" or "good." Just for fun, I suggested we try and make "spicy" bread, baking another loaf with just one banana but a few teaspoons of a combination of Indian spices called Garam Masala. Dipping my spoon into the bowl and pulling out a generous helping, I licked the spoon clean and thought, "Hmm. I can't test the spice." Well 6.3 seconds later I was coughing and rummaging around the refrigerator for water, wiping the sweat beads that were forming on my brow, silently cursing the chilli powder that poisoned the aftertaste. Conclusion: Indian spices in banana bread are a bad idea. Who would have thought? Probably any other normal human being could have told you that it was going to taste horrible...Not my brightest moment.

I spent the rest of the afternoon sharing the banana bread with the other women working on the jewelry, and they wobbled their heads in approval. YAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!! I have a recipe that works, women that like it, and an oven that is hopefully being delivered tomorrow... we'll see about that...

Today, while Stephanie and I worked with the women, David Moore met with several property owners to try and secure a new training center/ home for Rahab's Rope programs. He found one apartment that he liked with 5 bedrooms and 2 finished baths with 1 unfinished bath. Adding in the cost to remodel the unfinished bath, David asked the owner if the plumbing in the bath had been completed, and his response was that he would not be allowed to change the bath for superstitious reasons. Puzzled but flexible, David agreed and then asked the man what time he wanted to meet tomorrow to talk things over. The man responded and said he didn't do business on Tuesdays for superstitious reasons. Apparently, many Indians are superstitious and serious about their superstitions...

2 comments:

  1. Emily - just got on your blog. Wanted you to know I am praying for you and am so thrilled God is using you in Bangalore. More later...

    much love,
    Margaret (& Joe and girls)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily!

    I love that I stumbled upon this. Youre always doing something awesome and so far away. I wish you the best and i know youll truly impact those girls. Love you!

    Jordan Anderson

    ReplyDelete