SUMMER PART 1

From May 11 to June 22, I will be living in Bangalore, India and Vasco de Gama, Goa, working for an organization called RR to serve and empower victims of sex-trafficking. During the six weeks, I will be teaching baking classes as well as administering lessons on health and nutrition, hoping to provide a loving space for learning, healing, and preparation for these women and their futures.

SUMMER PART 2

From June 30 to July 19, I will be serving at a mission hospital in Kapsowar, Kenya,with my family. For the three weeks we are there, I will be spending most of my time working in the hospital, but also making several visits to Kapchesewes orphanage to spend time with the 35 children who live there.

The Hydrangea

The Hydrangea
The hydrangea flower is a symbol of friendship, devotion, and understanding...and some say it represents all heartfelt and sincere emotions. My hope is to authentically love and sincerely serve the women in Bangalore, that friendships grounded in comfort and consolation would flourish over the six weeks. My hope is that the women I am serving in India would be filled with an abundance of hope...that despite the pain and brokenness and suffering of their past, that each one would know that they are absolutely beautiful and pure in God's sight, that they have worth and value that is beyond their wildest dreams, that they have the power to live new lives and be freed from the horror of their pasts. My heart longs to serve these women in a way that will empower them to bloom from roots of compassion and stems of courage, flourishing with hope for their futures.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

The weed patch.



The past few days have been a whirlwind... David went ahead to Goa, and Steph went to visit a friend, so I spent the night with Mackey and Nellie. It was so much fun--we watched Ghandi and The Proposal, went to lunch together, ate cookies, talked about our faiths, and they told me story after story from their past 67/ 69 years of life that had us rolling around we we were laughing so hard. I have so much respect for both of them, and it has been such a blessing to listen to all their experiences and the wisdom they have gained through the years.

After lunch yesterday, Mackey and I went to buy vegetables from one of her favorite vegetable ladies to take to some women who Mackey told me "live in the weeds." I wasnt sure what that meant, so i just went alongside her, toting bags of tomatoes and potatoes down a street with overgrown plant life on either side. After we had walked about 10 minutes, I saw three blue tarps, not longer than 15 feet in length, staked down in tents in the middle of the weed patch. A group of about 10 women and children were sitting outside, and rose to their feet when Mackey and I walked up to the edge of the weeds with our grocercy bags. Most of them grinned as Mackey handed out candy from her purse...I smiled, but my heart was breaking inside. These were the poorest of the poor--their starving bodies were draped in rags, most likely the only clothes they owned...a few of the children had no underwear, and the stench suggested they had not bathed in days...their hair matted and filled with dirt, they gathered around and giggled with awe at all the vegetables in our hands. I played with the little girls for 15 minutes or so, just having them sit in my lap as I patted their heads and rubbed their backs, smiling just because that was the only form of communication we shared... I could feel my eyes hot with tears and my throat swollen as I struggled to keep from crying, and Mackey said it was time to head out. I let go of their precious little hands and dusted off my dress, smiling and waving as we walked away. It took all of my will power to keep from scooping one of them up and running away with her... her soft brown eyes staring up into mine from underneath the blue tarp she called "home." I had to turn and look away as we walked up the street, feeling helpless in not being able to help them more, and I think Mackey noticed my heavy heart. She wisely told me in a soothing voice, "It is best not to react out of emotion. Emotional responses do not last--they are powerful for a while, but soon they fade away. One should only act from their spirit, because a broken spirit will last." I thought about what she said, and I began to pray that God would not only continue to make my heart sensitive to suffering, but make my spirit wise with how to respond to pain and injustice.

No comments:

Post a Comment