SUMMER PART 1

From May 11 to June 22, I will be living in Bangalore, India and Vasco de Gama, Goa, working for an organization called RR to serve and empower victims of sex-trafficking. During the six weeks, I will be teaching baking classes as well as administering lessons on health and nutrition, hoping to provide a loving space for learning, healing, and preparation for these women and their futures.

SUMMER PART 2

From June 30 to July 19, I will be serving at a mission hospital in Kapsowar, Kenya,with my family. For the three weeks we are there, I will be spending most of my time working in the hospital, but also making several visits to Kapchesewes orphanage to spend time with the 35 children who live there.

The Hydrangea

The Hydrangea
The hydrangea flower is a symbol of friendship, devotion, and understanding...and some say it represents all heartfelt and sincere emotions. My hope is to authentically love and sincerely serve the women in Bangalore, that friendships grounded in comfort and consolation would flourish over the six weeks. My hope is that the women I am serving in India would be filled with an abundance of hope...that despite the pain and brokenness and suffering of their past, that each one would know that they are absolutely beautiful and pure in God's sight, that they have worth and value that is beyond their wildest dreams, that they have the power to live new lives and be freed from the horror of their pasts. My heart longs to serve these women in a way that will empower them to bloom from roots of compassion and stems of courage, flourishing with hope for their futures.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Aching tummy, aching heart.

Last night, I tossed and turned from hot flashes and chills for a few hours, but ultimately ended up hunching over the toilet until there was nothing left in my stomach. As I laid awake, sipping on cold water and trying to eat saltines, my mind kept wandering to the images of little Indian girls I met on the street yesterday. While walking down to Anatalie’s apartment to meet up with the women in the sewing program, I turned the street corner and was confronted with a chorus of “Hello sister! How are you?!” There were about 6 ten year old girls, dressed in maroon school uniforms and pigtail braids, giggling to each other as they waved at me. Smiling I replied, “Why hello sisters! I am fine, thank you! How was your school today?”
“Fine, sister. See you!” Their shining faces and swaying backpacks continued down the road, and as I watched the group wander along, my heart was warm from their happy greeting and thoughtful as well…

The average age a girl is sold into prostitution in India is 12 years old. Where would that precious bunch of girls be in two years? Images of commercial sex workers standing on the road at night flashed in my mind, but I became distracted by a man with a cart of bright yellow mangos who was beckoning me to purchase 100g with a “special discount,” and let the thought slip away.

I pulled the sheet up over my shoulder and stared at the wall of our bedroom, praying for the aching in my tummy to ease, but asking for the aching in my heart to grow. I want to love these girls as much as Jesus loves them… I want my heart to ache for them as His does. I prayed for my spirit to break into irreparable pieces, so that I would never forget the suffering of the women and the future of millions of little girls if no one intervenes in the sex trade in this country.
I read a statistic today that said “At the current rate of growth by 2025 one out of every five Indian girl children will be a child prostitute.” While this statement is concerning and shocking and sickening, I struggled to understand just exactly what that meant—the numbers and percentages all become a blur after awhile, until you have a face to put with them….

That face, that child, that little girl, sat in my lap on the way to a wedding tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment