SUMMER PART 1

From May 11 to June 22, I will be living in Bangalore, India and Vasco de Gama, Goa, working for an organization called RR to serve and empower victims of sex-trafficking. During the six weeks, I will be teaching baking classes as well as administering lessons on health and nutrition, hoping to provide a loving space for learning, healing, and preparation for these women and their futures.

SUMMER PART 2

From June 30 to July 19, I will be serving at a mission hospital in Kapsowar, Kenya,with my family. For the three weeks we are there, I will be spending most of my time working in the hospital, but also making several visits to Kapchesewes orphanage to spend time with the 35 children who live there.

The Hydrangea

The Hydrangea
The hydrangea flower is a symbol of friendship, devotion, and understanding...and some say it represents all heartfelt and sincere emotions. My hope is to authentically love and sincerely serve the women in Bangalore, that friendships grounded in comfort and consolation would flourish over the six weeks. My hope is that the women I am serving in India would be filled with an abundance of hope...that despite the pain and brokenness and suffering of their past, that each one would know that they are absolutely beautiful and pure in God's sight, that they have worth and value that is beyond their wildest dreams, that they have the power to live new lives and be freed from the horror of their pasts. My heart longs to serve these women in a way that will empower them to bloom from roots of compassion and stems of courage, flourishing with hope for their futures.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Nutrition and programs in Goa :).

Back in Goa again :).

I flew to Goa with two UGA students on Saturday, and we have been preparing the programs for the team of 18 girls from the US that are here to volunteer for the summer. The girls arrived late last week, and their joy and energy has boosted my spirit so much! Their hearts for the people here and the encouragment they have offered has been tremendous--they are such a blessing! I am realizing more and more the importance of fellowship and the power of groups that come together with one purpose, one mind, and one heart to serve. The potential impact is infinite if we live and work together as one body.

For the past few days, the two other volunteers and I have been meeting with the preschool teachers and leaders in the commnity to understand the current programs and see how we can best serve them. Though I will only be in India for the next week, I am trying to lay the foundation for sustainable programs that can be started with an initial boost of volunteers, but that will continue to be successful and effective without outside support.

My heart feels the most excited for the Nutrition Program. One of the men who works with the preschools has had some basic medical training and he leads a clinic in Birla slum twice a week. On Mondays and Wednesdays, he teaches a health lesson and then gives out vitamin supplements mixed with milk to over 60 children (ages 1 to 7 years). Each week, he has to turn children away because of a lack of funds... he also used to do the nutrition program in Baina slum but has had to stop that program because of a lack of mone as well. It only costs $10 a day to feed the vitamin mix to the 60 children, and so I am looking for ways to support the program coordinator so that he can continue to expand the ministry. I am also talking to the coordinator to try to start a nutrition program for teenage girls, especially the ones that are at risk for pregnancy... he says that there are girls who would come for a health lesson and vitamin mix if there was funding, so I am praying and thinking about ways to make the nutrition program a reality for these young women. I brought a nutrition curriculum to India as well, so we are looking to teach the lessons (with the 18 volunteers) to the younger children that come to the clinic on MOndays and Wednesdays.

The possibilities are endless and exciting in Goa! Each meeting and each person we talk to, there seems to be another opportunity to help and nationals willing to oversee programs. We are praying for wisdom and humility to address the needs of the people here the best that we can, recognizing that we can only do so much and need to establish focused goals for the programs, in order to ensure their impact and sustainability. I am trying to wake up each morning with a grateful heart, remembering that each day is a gift and a chance to love and serve everyone I come into contact with. The importance of working as a team is becoming more and more evident as well, as I am inspired by the passions of the volunteers and the Goans that are our new friends--and as I am once again reminded of the value of human life, the unique skills and talents that each person carries with them, and my heart longs to appreciate and celebrate each person I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment